NUG Leaders Under Fire Over Vacant Ministries’ Posts
Government’s continued delay to introduce new nominees for the vacant post of the cabinet has once again come under harsh criticism by MPs who on Monday reiterated calls to the government leaders to to fill the posts. This comes after MPs fired seven ministers in November for under spending development budgets. On today’s plenary session, lawmakers refused to give votes of confidence to three new ministers, including that of the minister of defense, minister of mines, and minister of labor,
social affairs, martyrs and disabled. The Wolesi Jirga members said they would not vote until replacements for the seven sacked ministers had been nominated. Tariq Shah Bahrami, the nominee for minister of defense, Faizullah Zaki, nominee for minister of labor and social affairs and Nargis Nehan, the nominee for minister of mines were expected to get votes of confidence from parliament. In November 2016, MPs dismissed seven ministers over their failure to spending less than 70 percent of their development budgets. The move which added to the ongoing problems of President Ashraf Ghani and CEO Abdullah Abdullah who had for months reportedly bickered over filling of cabinet posts. Currently the Ministry of Information and Culture (MoIC) and the Ministry of Borders and Tribal Affairs (MoBTA) are also run by acting ministers. However, Speaker Abdul Rauf Ibrahimi told today’s session: “The Wolesi Jirga has decided not to vote for the three ministers-designate until the nominees to replace acting ministers are introduced.” He criticized the continuation of acting officials’ duty and said: “We have repeatedly asked the president and he has promised so to introduce cabinet picks, but the president has so far failed to meeting people’s legal request.”
Download The PDF full version report.